Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Education is not for Wimps

As I look around my class this morning, on the last day of classes before Final Exams, I am amazed at how my job is not about teaching. It is about crowd control. My students had the last 45 minutes of the two hour block to review their notes, work on a review assignment, work on an extra credit assignment, and generally prepare for thier test. Less than 12 of the 36 students are even slightly working on anything other than their social skills. One group is talking about music, another about the cell phone they want for Christmas, others about Michael Jackson's dancing. Even those that are working mix in a comment about something else once in a while. I have answered less than 10 questions in this class, and most of those were from one student. Discouraging sometimes...

On a better note, I was the Head Linesman for the CIF-SS Mid Valley Division Football Finals on Saturday. It rained the whole night. I was soaked. My shoes still haven't dried (I brought them inside so they wouldn't mildew or anything). However, it was a good game, I think our crew did a great job, and due to the circumstances, will not forget that game for a LONG time. Now I begin to prepare for umpiring Baseball this spring. Pretty excited about that....

No comments: